Terms & Conditions
The Vesalius Innovation Award by Karger Publishers (hereinafter “VIA”) is carried out by S. Karger AG, Basel, Switzerland (hereinafter "Karger").
The time frame for submission as well as the evaluation and selection process will take place from July 2022 till November 2022.
During this period, 5 selected Startups will be mentored by experts.
At the VIA final event, these 5 Startups will get the opportunity to present their startup company and/or project and their ideas how this company/project can contribute to STM publishing area to a broad audience. The invited Startups will be given a platform for networking with various attendees.
Registration and Application
For a successful application, the Startup shall meet the following criteria:
- Early stage phase
- Willingness to participate in the mentoring and on site during the final event
- The Project shall lay its focus on publishing and on the Cycle of Knowledge in Health Sciences. Areas of interest cover the knowledge transfer to clinical environments and patient information, as well as the entire of research and publishing processes.
- Submit a pdf pitch containing the following information:
- Definition of the problem targeted
- Business model and financial plan
- How the solution works (underlying technology)
- Marketing and sales plan
- Competitors (if applicable) and why the proposed solution is better
- Future steps/milestones/timetable
- Current status and summary
- Complete the application form, including the answer of the following five free text questions with up to 600 characters each:
- Short description of your business model
- Describe the skills of your team members
- Why do you fit in our award focus
- What problem does your startup address and how do you suggest solving it
- What impact will you make on Health Sciences Publishing
Applications can be submitted until August 31, 2022.
Award Jury and Mentors
A mentor is a person, who supports the startups during the mentoring phase. A mentor may be a Karger representatives or an external expert.
Selection of Participants
The 3 winning Startups are selected by the jury at the VIA final event. The award is not transferrable to any another company or person.
Intellectual Property Rights
The VIA, including but not limited to its title, logo, graphic designs or adverts in connection with the VIA are the intellectual property of S. Karger AG. All rights are reserved.
Unless otherwise noted, no part of the content on this website may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, without Karger’s permission in writing.
Warranty and Indemnification
Each Participant shall defend Karger, members of the Award Jury or mentors against any claim that the application of the Participant infringes any third party right, such as copyright, trade mark, database right or right of confidentiality, and shall indemnify Karger, members of the Award Jury, mentors for any amounts awarded against Karger, members of the Award Jury, mentors in judgment or settlement of such claims
The provisions of this Clause shall not prevent S. Karger AG from disclosing any information that was properly in the possession of S. Karger AG (with full right to disclose) prior to receiving it from the participant; or is in, or subsequently comes into, the public domain other than by breach of this Agreement; or was independently developed by Karger; or was received from a third party which had properly obtained the Confidential Information and was free to divulge it.
Karger or third parties commissioned by Karger within the framework of the VIA will not bear any further costs other than agreed on priority and will not be liable for allegedly or actual unrealized or lost business opportunities or income.
The submission or use of materials whose content infringes the rights of third parties or is otherwise illegal or ethically reprehensible or does not comply with these conditions of participation can lead to the exclusion from the VIA at any time, as well as to criminal prosecution of the Startup concerned. Karger reserves the right to declare incomplete, incorrect or non-compliant applications invalid. Karger reserves the right to void any application that is false, misleading or fraudulent and to take legal action against the offending entrant.
Karger reserves the right to alter any clause of these Terms & Conditions at any time.
Furthermore, Karger may cancel or postpone the performance of the VIA for any reason as well as change the date and place when and where the final event of the VIA will take place. Karger will inform the applicants of any changes in the Terms & Conditions or in connection with the performance of the final event appropriately.
These Terms & Conditions shall be governed by and construed according to the laws of Switzerland. The VIA takes place under Swiss law. The place of jurisdiction is Basel-Stadt, Switzerland.
Status as of March 25, 2021, any changes after that date will be published on the Award’s website.